- 3 Vacancies in Dallas
- Experience working with Asylum Seekers
- 12 month contract, working either 4 or 5 days
The Victorian Foundation for Survivors of Torture Inc. (VFST) provides a range of services to people in Victoria who have been subject to torture or other traumatic events prior to their arrival in Australia. This group includes refugees and asylum seekers. It is non-denominational, politically neutral and non-aligned.
Counsellor Advocates (CAs) at Foundation House are part of the Direct Service team located in metropolitan Melbourne with offices currently in Brunswick, Sunshine, Dandenong and Ringwood. Our Northern regional team (Brunswick) will be moving to Dallas in 2016.
We have 3, 12 month vacancies in Dallas for Counsellor Advocates to work with asylum seekers. The positions are for either 4 or 5 days. We are seeking Counsellor Advocates with experience working with complex trauma and psychosocial problems associated with torture and other traumatic experiences. Successful applicants will demonstrate skills and knowledge including:
- Excellent report writing skills including assessment findings and case formulation
- High level skills in assessment, counselling and advocacy
- Understanding of the asylum seeking process in Australia and current policies, including those in relation to detention
- Cultural competencies in the provision of support and counselling services for people from CALD backgrounds
- Excellent organisational abilities, with the ability to balance client work with administration requirements.
Remuneration is based on our Enterprise Agreement 2014 up to $73,388 gross per annum. Benefits include generous salary packaging, leave loading, and a range of flexible working options, a highly supportive team environment, excellent training, support and development opportunities.
VFST is an equal opportunity employer.
The right to live and work in Australia is an essential requirement of this role
Applications for these positions close on 16 October 2016.
Applicants must complete the application form and address the selection criteria contained in the Position Description, which can be downloaded below:
Please email applications to Jane Ellis, HR Advisor, at
If you are unable to email please post to: Jane Ellis, VFST, 4 Gardiner Street, Brunswick 3056.
For any enquiries regarding the positions please contact Jane Ellis on 9389 8971.