Our services are:
- Free – including access to professional interpreters if you require this
- Confidential – we keep your information private, as do the interpreters we use
- Voluntary – you are free to stop being a client at any time for any reason
- Supportive – we support your rights
- Educative – we educate the community about the experiences of refugees.
Have you experienced torture or other traumatic events before you came to Australia?
If so, you may be experiencing problems and you may want to come to Foundation House. It is normal for people to have difficulties as a result of previous experiences of torture or other traumatic events.
You may have noticed:
- Sleep problems
- Thoughts and memories that come into your mind which worry you
- Feeling nervous in many situations
- Not wanting to be around other people
- Poor appetite
- Little interest in doing things
- Feeling that you can’t trust other people
- Problems with thinking and concentration
- Family problems that relate to your experiences
- Problems with learning or remembering.
You may also be concerned about your children if they:
- Have some of the same problems as above
- Are withdrawn, sad, nervous or aggressive
- Play out their bad experiences
- Are very distressed when they are separated from you.
We offer a comprehensive range of services to enable recovery from the consequences of torture or other traumatic events.
- Individual and family counselling
- Client advocacy
- Complementary therapies, e.g. traditional herbal medicine, massage and other natural therapies
- Specialist mental health clinic
- Group programs
- Services in rural and regional areas
- Referral to other services.
How can I access Foundation House services?
- Phone us on 03 9389 8900 or visit one of our offices
- With your permission, another person such as a doctor, social worker, teacher, family member or friend may contact us on your behalf
- For information on how to find our offices, please click here
- The receptionist will take your name and telephone number and ask if you need an interpreter
- A Foundation House worker will ring you within two working days
If you or someone you know needs the support of Foundation House, please read the following information as a guide.
You can download our client brochure in English by clicking the button below. Our client brochure is also available below in a range of community languages. Foundation House provides services in a range of locations including Brunswick, Dandenong, Sunshine and Ringwood. Click on the relevant link for information on each location.
If you would like to make a referral to Foundation House click here
This information is also available in the Contact Us section on the website.