- Work in the Eastern metropolitan region
- Either full time or job share arrangement
- Work with and support your diverse community
The Community Liaison Worker will work collaboratively with the Capacity Building Team to work as a direct link between VFST and the Chin community. Additionally they will work with Direct Services to deliver psycho-education information to groups within the Chin community. The focus is to provide understanding of the impact of the refugee experience and to assist with their settlement in Australia. This role will support the organisation of the sessions which also provide information about Foundation House and other services available to them. This role is for a fixed term of 12 months, and may be worked either full time or part time.
- You will be a connected member of the Chin community with experience working on projects with and for this community in either a voluntary or paid capacity.
- You will have a recognised leadership role (either formal or informal) within the Chin community.
- You will have the ability to work collaboratively with a team and be comfortable delivering information to groups in both English and Hakha Chin (other relevant Chin languages looked on favourably).
- You will have a good understanding of, and empathy for, those with refugee background from diverse groups within this community, and be able to make connect to people.
The Capacity Building team (CaB) at Foundation House aims to strengthen the capacity of newly arrived communities to cope effectively with the impact of the refugee and resettlement experience and is part of the Direct Services team.
About Foundation House
The Victorian Foundation for Survivors of Torture Inc. (VFST) provides a range of services to people in Victoria who have been subject to torture or other traumatic events prior to their arrival in Australia. This group includes refugees and asylum seekers. It is non-denominational, politically neutral and non-aligned.
Salary and Benefits
Remuneration is based on our Enterprise Agreement 2014 up to $71,891, gross per annum pro rata. Benefits include generous salary packaging, leave loading, a range of flexible working options and a highly supportive team environment.
VFST is an equal opportunity employer.
VFST promotes the safety and well-being of children.
The right to live and work in Australia is an essential requirement of this role.
Applications for this position close on 17 July 2017
Applicants must address the selection criteria contained in the Position Description, which can be downloaded below:
Please email applications to Jane Ellis, Human Resources Advisor, at
If you are unable to email please post to: Jane Ellis, Foundation House, 4 Gardiner Street, Brunswick 3056.
For any enquiries regarding the position please contact Jane Ellis on 9389 8971.