The Refugee & Asylum Seeker Experience One Day Workshop – 6/10/2016
This one day workshop provides a comprehensive introduction to working with people from a refugee background, including asylum seekers.
Participants will gain knowledge of the refugee and asylum seeker experience and ways of working with this highly vulnerable group. Establishing positive working relationships
and maintaining worker resilience in a challenging environment are covered.
• Australia’s Humanitarian Program within a global context and relevant recent policy developments
• The traumatic experiences of people who have fled wars and oppressive regimes
• The range of psychosocial effects of traumatic experiences on individuals, families and communities
• The psychological impact of detention and prolonged uncertainty associated with seeking asylum in Australia
• The Foundation House framework for recovery
• Principles of good working relationships with clients who have experienced torture and trauma
• Maintaining worker resilience and reflective practice
Date: Thursday October 6, 2016
Time: 9:30am – 4:30pm
Venue: Foundation House, 4 Gardiner Street Brunswick